Thursday 23 May 2019

Self-fulfilling prophecy

You know when you are watching a scary movie, and one of the characters is about to go outside, and you yell at the screen "don't do it!", because you know exactly what is going to happen?? Yeah, my weight journey lately has been that scary movie!!  "Don't eat that!!" I scream, and yet I eat it. "Get up and move!", I yell. And yet, I sit or worse, nap. I know better...I've been a member of WW (formally known as Weight Watchers) for longer than some members there have been alive, and yet I seem determined to self-sabotage myself at every turn and never reach goal.

Take today...well, this week, actually. I've watched my weight bounce around all week, and yet I just had to have the mini-cupcake yesterday (it was someone's birthday, rude not to, am I right?), or the new Oreo PB and Chocolate flavour. Just had to try it. After all, never, ever been a fan of Oreos, but that didn't stop me from trying, buying and eating an entire package myself. Seriously...what is wrong with me?!?!?


I am an emotional eater. Trouble is, the emotion doesn't have to be a negative one. Happy...sad...angry...stressed...bored...all excuses to shovel something into my mouth. And let's be honest here. It is NEVER a carrot or an apple that I am reaching for. Someone suggested that tonight at the workshop (formally known as meeting). Instead of the chocolate sprinkles Texas donut, grab an apple instead. Sure...that's happening!!


I did manage to go for a bit of a walk today, of which I am proud of. I used to walk every day at lunch, and then used snow, rain, wind and work as convenient excuses as to why I couldn't. That stops now. I feel like crap. Seriously like a pile of poo. Not enjoying my reflection in the mirror. Not feeling so awesome about myself. What have you to say about that, Dr. Hendricks? How is The Big Leap going to help me overcome my weight issues? He does say that the intention of the book is to "show me exactly how to free myself from the self-imposed limitation that is keeping me from my ultimate success". Guess I'd better read some more!

Do you self-sabotage? How do you break the cycle or habit? Looking for any and all ideas. I need to change something - a fresh perspective would be great!

As always, thank you for reading.

Carol W.


No comments:

Post a Comment