Monday 20 May 2019

Welcome back, for real this time.

I've done everything I can think of to avoid this moment right now. Changed the litter. Hauled out the recyclables. Emptied garbage bins. Made another cup of coffee. Played with the furbabies. All clever avoidance tactics I've honed over the years.

What am I so afraid of? Why is jotting down my thoughts, dreams, goals and such so intimidating to me. Maybe I'm afraid no one will read it. But that begs the question...why am I really doing this? Is it for me or you? Let me back-track a bit here.

I am a Toastmaster, for just over two years now. I've completed my Competent Communicator, the Competent Leader, Advanced Leader Bronze, and I'm in the 4th level of the 5 level Pathway, Persuasive Influence. I'm also working towards my Distinguished Toastmaster designation. Toastmasters is fun, and I've dived in feet first. After all, Public Speaking were the only two classes in college that I received an A...A+, actually. While I have no problem speaking in public, one of the challenges in this pathway is to complete a blog. Again, I thought...no problem. I've been writing various iterations of this blog for years now. And yet, every time I thought of a topic or decided to actually put fingers to keyboard (not the same ring as pen to paper, is it??), I would find a trillion other things to do.

There in lies the crux...when I have something I "should" be doing, whether it's dealing with issues in my house like the plumbing, organizing my office, my taxes, my budget, building my side hustle, exercise, weight loss...anything that is "adulting", I seem to easily willingly distract myself.

With your help, I am working on changing all of that this year. The hamster wheel, while fun to begin with, is getting boring. I'm tired of the same old, and yet it's what I so easily fall back in to. Jen Sincero said it best when she wrote "the walls of our comfort zone are lovingly papered with our excuses". It's time to break down one or all of those walls. I have all three of her books...let's try actually reading them, shall we? And the many, many other self-improvement, ,marketing, betterment books I have on hand. Did I mention there were many??

Kosmo helping Mommy choose


Step 1 for the blog - consistency. While I laughingly cry "go big or go home" history has taught me that I do just that...go home. I get overwhelmed and crawl back under the covers of complacency. One step at a time to start any journey, right? I will read, and do a book report on one of the books I have on hand right now and post at least 8 more times over the next few weeks. Which one shall it be, though??

I've decided on a rather appropriate one, in fact. The Big Leap, by Gay Hendricks.
Conquer your hidden fear and take life to the next level

Please feel free to share this, if you think it may help someone you know. And comment...I love comments. Let's start a dialogue. How do you get yourself out of the "zone" when you get stuck? I'm open to ideas!

Thank you for reading.
Carol W.

3 comments:

  1. I can fully relate to everything you mention about avoidance and finding distractions when I have something I "should" be doing. Toastmasters does a great job of ensuring we step up our game and do things we never thought we would. Joining Toastmasters and taking on multiple roles and also being involved as a club officer has helped me get myself out of the "zone". I'm excited to hear you're going to take on the blog challenge one step at a time and I look forward to your insights on "The Big Leap". Thanks for sharing Carol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. It's funny how I can dive so readily into Toastmasters, but avoid all the other things to do. Guess I get more enjoyment from TM. :)

      Delete
  2. When I start to get stuck and want to procrastinate there are usually 3 things I do:
    1. Break the un-fun task down into smaller tasks and then do something short and fun after each task is completed
    2. Do the full task (especially if it will only take an hour or less) then do something fun afterwards
    3. If I am just stuck (like how to write my next Toastmasters speech) I do something for 30 minutes that will get my creative juices flowing, like practice my violin or fold origami. That helps my brain get into the right mood and I often finish quite a bit quicker.

    If all else fails, I just listen to awesome music that makes me happy and it makes the dull task that much more enjoyable.

    Christine Enns

    ReplyDelete