Wednesday 22 May 2019

Is it Fear or is it Fake

Slowly getting into The Big Leap. Still muddling through chapter 1 - it's not that Dr. Hendricks uses big words or complicated theories. In fact, it's pretty simple. Which is maybe why I'm having trouble getting through it. I keep reading and rereading the same lines. It's hitting home - perhaps a little too close for comfort!

His first concept is the Upper Limit Problem. Basically, as I understand it, is we all have our own perceived glass ceiling, and until we're ready to break through to the Ultimate level, we will never realize our true potential.

I once had aspirations of psychiatry as a career, until the sciences seriously clashed with my brain, but find I push back a bit when I see and hear things like this. If it's really so simple, why aren't we all doing it? Oh that's right...because we think we don't deserve all the happiness, accolades, wealth. I have to say the one part I really resonated with was when he talked of eating healthy, exercising and feeling great through the week, only to throw it all away with booze, sugar and poor habits on the weekend. Story of my life! Begs the question...why do I fear being thin and healthy? There's a blog for another day!!

Once through the introduction, you reach chapter 1: Preparing for your Big Leap. Here, you have 3 questions to answer:
1. Am I willing to increase the amount of time every day that I feel good inside (inner sense of well being)?
    - yes
2. Am I willing to increase the amount of time that my whole life goes well?
    - I hope it's yes. Gets a little shaky here.
3. Am I willing to feel good and have my life go well all the time?
    - "All the time"?? Again, one would hope the answer is yes. 

It is here that we dive into the limiting beliefs. I like how he puts this into perspective...if we cling to the notion that something's not possible, we are essentially arguing in favour of limitation. What's the payoff of limitation? Hamster wheel of mediocrity? What if Columbus returned to Europe and said he didn't find land, but he could have, if he didn't have a nasty cold? America wouldn't have a holiday in October for one. 

I am finding myself flipping back and forth between the pages, again not because the concept is so obtuse or hard to comprehend, but because I keep seeing snips that I want to remember and go back to. It's definitely a book to read with a high-lighter in hand!

I'll close with this question tonight...How am I getting in my own way? A doozy, for me at least...think about it. I'd love to chat. Let me know how you get in or out of your own way?

Thanks for reading,
Carol W.




No comments:

Post a Comment