Tuesday 28 May 2019

Club Coaching

Tonight was interesting. In an effort to get my Distinguished Toastmasters, I'm joining forces with a friend at our group, and working on coaching a club over the hurdles they're currently experiencing. I've never been a coach like this before. In fact, I've never really been a coach, so this will all be new to me.

Met with the other group tonight, and it was small. Only 3 current members at the meeting, and then luckily two guests showed up. That's a great start!! Just have to work on getting the rest of the existing members to show up consistently, and keep adding to the membership. It's a year commitment at least, to coach, and we can extend after that if need be.

As with small meetings, everyone stepped up into and helped out, even the guests! Speeches were given off the cuff (way to go, Christine!), table topics, and evaluations given. I handled timing, although I admit to not quite understanding the lighting apparatus they had. I used the app on my phone! I love that about Toastmasters. The group really supports and encourages each other. This group seems like a really good fit, and I'm excited to see where we end up.

Almost done my 4th level in Pathways as well, with the speech tomorrow, and then a few more posts here. And then it's level 5. Insert serious music here... It looks intimidating! I think it's fortuitous that the group we are coaching specializes in project management, as level 5 is all about projects! I have to pick a project, find a sponsor, form a committee...it's all very new to me. But this is really what Toastmasters is about. Pushing you out of your comfort zone and learning new things.

Needless to say, still not any further in the Big Leap! Maybe tomorrow!!

Thanks for reading,
Carol W.


No comments:

Post a Comment