Monday 27 May 2019

Priorities

I am exhausted. Physically and mentally beat up. My feet are killing me. My legs ache. I'm having trouble remembering the simplest task. What on earth have I been doing, you may ask? Working at my part-time job!!

Did I mention that I have a part-time job? Yes, in addition to my full-time one. I've always seemed to do this. I say it's for fun (when I worked at the theatre) or something new (data entry at Calgary Labs) but I always seem to creep back in to "working all of the time". Today, it's Customer Service at Home Depot. With fellow team members off on family emergencies and others leaving the company, I am the first to say "sure, I can cover". What that has meant is last week alone I worked a mere 7 hours less than my full time job!! Four days straight of standing on cement in steel-toed boots also means both of my feet are about to call a rotating strike on me!! They'd walk out, if they thought they could!! That flows up into the calves, thighs and hips. Which doesn't help with the sleeping part. But I've dosed up on some magnesium and vitamin D, which should help ease things. I'll also drink a slug of pickle juice, just to be on the safe side!! The work itself isn't hard, although there are some things I really do have to talk myself through (yes, out loud - please don't laugh). Also surrounded by a pretty good group of people, for the most part, having fun and enjoying themselves. Then there are the shifts with the grumpy-bums and cranky customers and any semblance of a good mood is rapidly destroyed. But I keep going back.

So this begs the question 'why'? Why am I putting myself through this? After all, don't I have a side hustle? Why do I always seem to put more effort into a J.O.B. rather than my own business? And there in lies the rub. I always seem to make other things a priority over this. And I have a ton of excuses...it's how I was raised, it's my work ethic, it's what's expected of me... Worse part is I get myself so wrapped up in the jobs, I start to forget or pass over what else I "should" be doing. Working on building a business. Reading a book (or collection of books) meant to help me grow and develop my business skills. Doing a blog to share my thoughts of said books, or business or what have you. And yet the priority always seems to fall to WORK.

While I am totally stuck on the same page of the Big Leap (can't seem to fit in 15 minutes of reading), I do love my You are a Bada$$ (Jen Sincero) daily calendar. For example, as I was feeling pulled about and questioning what I was doing with this thing called life, this was the quote of the day:

"I can pretty much guarantee that every time you tearfully ask yourself the question, "WTF is my problem?!" the answer lies in some lame, limiting, and FALSE subconscious belief that you've been dragging around without even realizing it."

I mean WHA?!?! BOOM!! Yes, yes and YASSSS!!!!

However, what does all of this mean right here and now? Nothing...because I AM tired. I'm going to bed momentarily. My goal today was to get this post out regardless, as I keep using the excuse of "tired and no time" and skipping it day after day. So here it is...maybe it's rambling and maybe it's nonsense but I got the words out tonight.

What are your priorities, and how do you stick to them, against all the things coming at us all day? I am curious to know.

Thank you for reading,
Carol W.

No comments:

Post a Comment