Wednesday 18 June 2014

Happy Trails



View outside my friend's townhome in Canmore, at the base of the Sisters (Range is known as the Three Sisters, for those who don't know the Alberta mountains well).  Weather seemed nice, although I did pack along a light coat in case of rain (was forecast).

Got up to the Canmore Nordic Centre and decided after 3 steps from my car that the coat was not needed.  Tank top and shorts and compression socks.  I was set.

I do not take good selfies...  Met quite a few fellow runners I know, who were doing either the Sport (8k - only 1 large loop) or the Enduro (12k, both loops).  I vowed to all to be last and asked that at least one wait for me...and save me a cookie!  It was a tad chilly, so was happy for the free sleeves handed out at bib pick-up.  Figured I'd have them ripped off by the time I really got moving, but they stayed on the whole race.  Weather was perfect.


At least being last allows for some photo ops.  The course was extremely hilly.  Okay, so it was in the mountains, and what did I expect, but it did still seem to be an awful lot of climbing and not so much running back down hill.  About a mile in I had the continuous thought of "gee...I should try training for the next one!"  My asthma held up, although at one point I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest.  The legs, and more importantly, the ankle, also held up well, even when I fell.  Granted, I was trying to step out of the way of the runners coming up behind me (the Enduros, done their extra loop) and slipped on the loose moss.  Didn't really turn my ankle but it argued with me for a few steps afterwards.  Luckily no animal sightings, other than a rather cheeky squirrel, which is good.  Not sure if I could have even outrun the squirrel!!  At least we didn't have this to contend with...I would have shat myself!!!

http://youtu.be/LlB0FqQ0DlQ (if the link doesn't work, google "Pawzing Workout Resuming Workout")

I kept telling myself I'd be happy with 2 hours, but will admit to losing all track of time and distance.  I didn't want to look at Mr. Garmin, since I could barely remember how to use it!!  It was getting a little lonely, and the other runners had run over the markers, so at one point I was feeling a little lost, but then caught sight of the finish line.  Finally!!!  I tried running, but by this point had nothing left in the tank.  Although, once the announcer saw me, and told the crowd (they were doing awards at the time) that one more runner was coming in, I could hear all my friends screaming my name.  Hard to run while crying, I might add.  But I finally crossed, and at 2:03:19 - not so much off my mark and officially last.

After a cookie and some fruit, and watching a few of my friends win 2nd place awards for age group/distance, I went back to the townhouse to wait for my friend from Calgary to join me.  Showered and moved ever so slowly down the stairs (hmmmm...3 level townhouse after trail run may not have been such a good idea), we went into Canmore for a late lunch (Alberta Flatbread Co - BEST.PIZZA.EVER!), wandered up and down Main St and then back to the townhouse for wine and TV.  Very relaxing day.  Woke up to the Sisters playing peek-a-boo on Sunday, so happy to have the race over with.


Happy with the race, and the fact that I didn't break myself further.  Next one in July is in Calgary (well, just outside of the limits at the Glenbow Ranch), so hopefully I'll get a couple more runs in by then.  Should be a bit more rolling than Canmore but I've run there before...it's not the flat prairies by any stretch!

Back to Crossfit tonight (gave my ankles a break on Monday, as it was a DU-a-thon) and working on the food plans.  I will admit to not feeling my best while running on Saturday, and I am the only one that can do something about it.

Happy Hump Day!  Now go lift something!




No comments:

Post a Comment