Wednesday 22 November 2017

New beginnings...a year later

Hi...my name is Carol and I'm a horrible blogger. Maybe I'm not so bad at the actual story or typing part, but I certainly lack in consistency. I'm aiming to change that here and now.

So what has changed, besides the blog name? Which by the way, if you were looking for Go Lift Something Heavy and you couldn't find the post from January 2016, I'm sorry to disappoint you but it was time for a refresh. So much has happened in my world since then, personally and professionally, it was time. I still love CrossFit with all my heart (I have the callouses to prove it), still go to Weight Watchers weekly and still live my cats in my little house...wait, what's changed exactly?!

The biggest jolt to my world came April 2016. I was at work at 7 am like normal but by 8:30 I was back home, on my couch, clutching the white envelope that held my past/future and wondered what the eff just happened?! I didn't work oil and gas for this very reason. Hell, I avoided oil and gas for this very reason, and yet, after 16 years, Shaw laid me off. Told me I was a good employee but my job was redundant (all I heard was I was redundant) and to have a nice life. Took a while to recover from that.

After enjoying the summer off of work (my garden looked great, for once), first time in almost 40 years.

I soon realized the money was quickly running out and I needed a job. Truth be told, job-hunting was something I haven't really done since I was 16. I worked for Scotiabank for 18 years, starting a posting I got through my Mom, who also worked there. Left them to go work with a friend, who knew her small company was hiring. Left that job when the company was threatening to close and found the Shaw job through a coworker connection. This was a whole new world and it scared the crap out of me!! Trouble with job-hunting in Calgary last year was it wasn't just you and handful of people applying for jobs...it was you and 10,000+ applying for those jobs. Every job. And I really don't know what I know, you know?! I mean to say, I really don't have a formal education. Yes, I went to college and I have a diploma from 1984 in an industry I have yet to work a full day in (Public Relations). No letters of the alphabet follow my name, and everything I learned I learned by doing it. I'm also in my fifties - that whole 'old dog, new tricks' comes to mind. I was not feeling great, but luckily the "who you know" factor came into play, and I am back working with the gentleman who originally hired me at Shaw. Back in the banking industry, behind the scenes this time and learning that a few things have changed over the past 20 years. Smaller and Alberta only, but with an amazing culture and atmosphere. Makes going to work every day fun again.

Needless to say 2016 was not my favourite year. Family strife intensified to the point of breaking, I lost my beloved Simon, my last connection to Mom and Dad, and I was out of work for most of the year.


But there were happy times as well. Another glorious 5 days at Assiniboine Lodge, the most beautiful spot on earth, spent with a lovely group of ladies hiking, drinking wine and laughing ourselves silly.


I continue to make small gains at CrossFit, but the double-under and pull-up continue to elude me. There's many more moves on the goat list, but small victories, right?

I also rescued a giant orange fluffball named Kosmo. Funny how the power of social media works. There I was, sitting on the couch planning my day, when his face popped up on the Twitter feed, from the Calgary Humane Society. "Kosmo has been here for 6 months and would love a fur-ever home"...damn it, they had me at that face! I literally put down my phone, picked up my purse and cat carrier, drove straight there and within an hour, had him home. Sadly he and Maggie don't quite get along (I think it's his size that frightens her) but I have high hopes that I'll walk in one day to find the two of them cuddled up together. Maybe.


One of the biggest changes in 2016 though was joining up with an amazing group of people, taking control of my future. I don't ever want to be in the position of no job/no income again, so I have entered the world of network marketing. I've done the direct sales/home party business before, but this one is so very different. From the organization through every rank, I've met wonderful, uplifting people and made some amazing friends. We support each other, and have an absolute blast along the way. I've been to Houston, and just returned from a weekend in Vegas with these crazies, and am in awe of all of them. Building my team, and plotting my course. I said yes, and I AM a force to be reckoned with.



Can't believe 2018 is only 40 days away. FORTY!! What fabulous plans do you have for the rest of 2017?

Thank you for your time, much love.
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment